27 July 2014

Reese Takes Downtown Provo


A couple of days ago, I took Reese to our little downtown in Provo to take some pictures against this mural that's on one of the walls.  I see it every time I drive down Center Street and have always thought it would be the coolest spot to take some pictures.  So we did!  It was nice to get out of the house and get some fresh air.  I think we both needed it.  I love our little downtown.  Hope you enjoy the pics!  

On a completely different note, something I've been thinking a lot about lately is being more patient and kind to ourselves.  Sounds a little self-absorbed, but I really believe it's so important for every woman to learn that by taking care of yourself emotionally and mentally, you will be a better mom, wife, friend, and person in general.  It is not selfish to take time for yourself every now and again.  I believe it's necessary.  

"Be gentle first with yourself if you wish to be gentle with others." (Lama Yeshe)

Something that I really try to remember when I'm going through something tough, is that I'm probably not the only one.  What's made the biggest difference for me in tough times is leaning on the people that matter most in my life.   The people I trust and who I know love me no matter what.  I really feel like talking through whatever's going on in our lives helps us to navigate how we're really feeling and often helps us uncover resolutions we didn't even know we could come up with!  So I read this article, "Self-compassion: Learning to be Nicer to Ourselves," a while back when I was working on the "I Am Beautiful" campaign that really stood out to me.  In the article it gives a few things we can do to create compassion for ourselves.  It sounds cheesy, but I think as women we underestimate how important it is to remember to not be so hard on ourselves!
  
 One of the suggestions in the article was to embrace your common humanity.  In the article it says, 

"Many times when you criticize or judge yourself, you feel isolated.  It seems as though you are the only one in the world who has that particular flaw.  And yet, we are all imperfect.  We all suffer.  And so we are all connected by our shared humanity.  

One of the wonderful outcomes of self-compassion is our enhanced sense of belonging, the feeling that we are all in this together.  The next time you are looking in the mirror and not liking what you see, remember that you are an integral part of a flawed, wonderful, miraculous human tribe."

And you are!  Your part in this world is precious and meaningful.  You are here for a purpose.  Flaws and all!  We've all got 'em, and I really believe it's our flaws that teach us more about ourselves, and by learning how to navigate those flaws, we become stronger individuals.

My sister Megan gave me a scrapbook of pictures of me growing up for my 16th birthday, and it was stock full of quotes.  That scrapbook is worn and torn from all the times I opened it up to read the quotes and look at all the pictures of me growing up.  That book always reminded me that I was a daughter of God with my own story to tell.  It comforted me a lot in high school and college when I was trying to navigate who I was and what I contributed to the world I lived in.  One of my favorite quotes in the book was by Max Ehrmann.  It said, 

"You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."

I hope all y'all remember that you have a purpose and are here for a reason.  Be kind to yourself!  You're doing better than you think. 

Happy Sunday!
XO, Ashton Tilton

2 comments :

  1. your daughter has lovely blue eyes. those are awesome pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. your daughter has lovely blue eyes. great pics

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts