23 March 2015

There Will Come a Day


There will come a day...There will come a day when she no longer wants to hold my hand.  So I will hold it while I still can.  There will come a day when she no longer tells me what’s on her mind.  So I will listen while she still wants to talk to me.  There will come a day when she no longer says, “Watch me, Mama!”  So I will observe and encourage while I still can.  There will come a day when she no longer invites me to eat school lunch with her.  So I will join her while I still can.  There will come a day when she no longer needs my help to bake cookies or hit the tennis ball in the sweet spot.  So I will stand beside her gently guiding and instructing while I still can.  There will come a day when she no longer wants my opinion about clothes, friendship, death, and heaven.  So I will share my views while she still wants to hear them.  There will come a day when she no longer allows me to hear her prayers and her dreams.  So I will fold my hands and absorb every word while I still can.  There will come a day when she no longer sleeps with her beloved stuffed animal.  And that day may come sooner than I think.  Because sometimes unexpected events happen, causing the days to rush by, the years to tumble ahead. Sometimes what I thought I would have time to do, like listen to her laugh, wipe her tears, breathe her scent, and hold her close, will no longer be available to me.  What I thought I had all the time in the world to do, may no longer be an option.  The little pink dog that my child must now learn to sleep without after eight precious years reminds me that tomorrow may not allow for all the things I planned to do.  So instead of being too busy, too tired, or too distracted when she seeks my love and attention, I will be ready and waiting to make her a well-loved child while I still can.” (Rachel Stafford in Hands Free Mama)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts