18 August 2014

California: The Grove & LA's Museum of the Holocaust


The Grove: Los Angelos.  When we were in California, Todd's sister Heidi insisted that we take a day to do real Californian, touristy things and that we leave Reese with her, so we could enjoy time together with just the two of us.  We were obviously so grateful, but at first thought we would still take Reese with us to do a family outing sort of thing.  Well, it didn't take for long for Todd's sister to convince us that we should have a day date out together, and I've gotta say I'm so glad we took her up on her offer.  It was a really beautiful day outside, and I got to spend some quality time with my main squeeze.  We walked around in the beautiful weather, window shopped, and just talked.  Sounds so cheesy, but it was perfect.  Life is so crazy busy sometimes, and we really don't have all the time in the world to just walk around for a couple hours and focus solely on each other.  I couldn't have asked for better weather or better company.  

After we walked around the shops and listened to some outdoor music they had going on in the square, we went and ate at The Cheesecake Factory.  More talking with and enjoying Bunsy Boy.  I remember specifically feeling so giddy to be spending all that time with him.  That he was my hubs foeva.  Not that I needed this reassurance, but I remembered being reminded just how perfect Todd was for me.  It felt like when we were engaged.  Just him and I.  When we were dating, I wanted to spend every second of every day with that boy.  Just his company made me so happy.  And that was what The Groves was for me.  More important than where we were or what we were doing was the fact that I was with him.  

LA's Museum of the Holocaust.  On the way to The Grove, we saw a bunch of banners for LA's Museum of the Holocaust.  We both thought that would be an experience we couldn't pass up, and so we walked a few blocks to the museum.  When we got there, the ushers handed us headphones and an iPod for the audio tour throughout the museum.  As we walked through, each room had a display of pictures from the time of the Holocaust and the corresponding audio that told the story of the pictures.  It was a really cool experience, and I learned so many things that I didn't know about that time.  We both did.  One of the most inspiring stories for Todd was the story of Jesse Owens.  During the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, Hitler and other government officials had high hopes that Germany would dominate the games and victories to disprove his superior-race theory.  Jesse Owens was an American track and field athlete that ruined that theory by winning F O U R gold medals.  He is known for single-handedly crushing Hitler's myth of Aryan (non-Jew and white) supremacy.  So inspiring.  Our favorite part of the museum was the last room.  It was a room full of videos of interviews with survivors of the Holocaust.  So remarkable to hear those first-hand accounts.   

Even though it was a very somber atmosphere, we appreciated all that we learned and were reminded what a poison hatred is and the power it can have over people.   Let's just say that I left the museum holding Todd's hand a little tighter.

pinterest-2b050.html

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your Thoughts